During Pachamama Wellness Week (our week long celebration of free, virtual events centred around well-being for women, mamas, mums-to-be, partners, little ones and friends, from Monday 9 – Friday 13 November, 2020) we hosted a live cook along with Le’Nise Brothers to promote hormonal balance through nutrition.
Click on the video below to watch the live, and cook along with us. Ingredients list and cooking instructions below.
Middle Eastern Chickpeas & Broccoli
Serves 2, Prep and Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely dice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 medium broccoli, roughly chopped coriander,
- 2 tbspcumin
- 2 tbsp
- 6 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- fresh coriander
- sea salt
- hot sauce (optional)
- Heat a pan (I love using a cast iron pan as it adds iron to your meal) to medium. When it’s hot, add the olive oil. When the olive oil is hot and sizzling, add the onion and 3 of the diced cloves of garlic and season with a pinch of salt. Turn the heat down and let them soften for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp coriander and 1 tbsp cumin, stir and let cook for a minute.
- Add the broccoli and another pinch of salt. Stir and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli starts to soften.
- Before you add in the chickpeas, make sure there’s no leftover liquid. I usually drain the chickpeas into a strainer, rinse them in the strainer and then leave the strainer in the sink so that all the liquid completely drains out.
- Add the spinach and stir so the spinach is fully mixed in. This will cook quickly.
- Add the chickpeas and the rest of the dried coriander and cumin. Stir and let cook for 7-10 minutes so the chickpeas soften and the flavours blend. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- While this is cooking, mix the yoghurt with the garlic, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Serve with the yoghurt sauce and a few splashes of hot sauce (optional) on top of the chickpea mixture and enjoy!